If the word “content” makes you think of whitepapers, articles, and blogs, you’re only half-right. Content consists of any information you share with customers and potential customers. Infographics, photographs, and videos are all content – and some would say, the most powerful tools in your content arsenal.
Did you know that there are 1 billion unique visitors to YouTube each month? That’s because humans are stimulated by visual images. For example, imagine that you want to apply a sun-blocking film to the windows on the south side of your house. Would you rather read how to do it or watch how it’s done through a video?
According to the Social Science Research Network, 65 percent of people are visual learners. Simply put, what they see impacts them more deeply than what they read. Further, Forrester Research found that websites that include videos are 50 times more likely to show up on the first page of Google results. You don’t necessarily need to create a website around your infomercial in order to harness the power of video. You can just as easily incorporate it with your existing social media outreach to generate the same enthusiasm.
Whether you do it yourself or use a full-service video production company to add videos, there really is no downside. Those who would prefer to read still have access to your written content and those who find greater inspiration in images have the option of learning more about your company through video presentations.
(Video) Content is King
Research and anecdotal evidence underscore the importance of adding video content to your social media sites. Whether it’s a company website, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram – videos simply garner more interest. Looking for substantiation? This may be the proof you’re looking for:
- 3M (the company behind Post-It Notes), undertook a research project showing that humans process visuals 60,000 times faster than text, meaning you can get your message across in less time.
- Tweets that include an image are 94 percent more likely to be retweeted than those without.
- The eye’s retina is an outgrowth of the brain. While all five senses are important, optic (eye) nerves consist of millions of fibers while auditory (ear) nerves consist of only 30,000 fibers. It’s no wonder that humans tend to believe what they see over what they hear.
- It takes as little as 13 milliseconds for the brain to identify images.
- Videos are perfect for today’s consumers, people so busy that they don’t have the time to take a deep dive into written materials.
- Videos build trust. Imagine potential customers feeling as though they “know” you well enough to come to you for advice.
- You set the tone. Your videos can be as formal as those found on an infomercial website or homey enough to feel as though your customers are having a cup of coffee with you.
Finally, videos are powerful. Most people can recall more than 2,000 pictures with 90 percent accuracy (or better), even after a short presentation. What that means for you is that adding videos to social media offers you a remarkable way to imprint your brand on the minds of potential customers.